What are Graphite pencils?
Graphite Pencil is one of the most common and popular pencils used by artists. And they’re beginner friendly pencils. If you are a beginner, it’s the best option for you.
These pencils are made from mixtures of graphite and clay (kaolinite).
These pencils are thin and the shell is usually made of wood. Some woodless pencils or graphite powders are also available in the market. It has different types of grades like 10H, 9H, 8H, 7H, 6H, 5H, 4H, 3H, 2H, H, HB, F, B, 2B, 3B, 4B, 5B, 6B, 7B, 8B, 9B, 10B, 12B, etc.
Where H grading defines the “Hardness” and “B” grading defines the “Blackness” or “Softness”.
These grading are defined by the ratio of graphite and clay. If there is more clay, the grade of the pencil would lie to hard or “H” category and if there is more graphite, it would lie to Black or soft or “B” category.
There are some cons to use graphite pencils like it shines a lot and can give the viewers a negative impact on your artworks but as we know, for every problem there is a solution.
You need not worry about it, we have some solutions for you at the end of the article.
Best 7 graphite pencils for Drawing
Faber-Castell is one of the world’s largest and oldest manufacturers of pens, pencils, other stationary or art supplies. It is a German brand, founded in 1761.
- High Quality graphite pencils.
- Blends smoothly.
- Break resistant due to the secural bonding process.
- Coated with water based varnish.
Staedtler is also a German brand and was founded in 1835.Staedtler mars lumograph pencils are premium-quality pencils for drawing and sketching.
- Premium-quality pencils for writing, drawing and sketching.
- The wide range of degrees makes the ideal tool for artists.
- Especially break-resistant thanks to super-bonded lead.
- Lines reproduce well.
- Easy to erase and easy to sharpen with any good sharpener.
Derwent is a brand of pencils and other stationery or art materials from Britain. The company was founded in 1832.
- Professional quality graphite pencils.
- Perfect for professional artists and amateurs of all ages.
- Ideal for adding fine detail or shading.
- Superb blending and smudging
- Anti-roll hexagonal barrels.
- Soft and consistent lines, easy to remove.
Tombow Pencil Co.,Ltd. is a Japanese manufacturing company of stationery products. The company was founded in 1913.
- Tombow mono 100 series pencils, it contains 12 assorted degrees.
- 6B, 5B, 4B, 3B, 2B, B, HB, F, H, 2H, 3H, 4H.
- High point strength
- Smear proof lines for crisp & clean drawings.
Cretacolor is an art material manufacturer based in Austria. It is available in a full range upto 24 lead degrees.
- High grade artists graphite pencil.
- A comfortable, hexagonal barrel.
- Colour coded tips for easy identification.
- Traditional hard cedar wood casing.
- It can be sharpened to a clean fine point
- Ideal for all sketching, drawing, and hatching.
Lyra is a German based brand of fine art materials. It produces the best quality of pencils. The company was founded in 1806. Since 2008, LYRA has been part of the Italian group, FILA Fabbrica Italiana Lapis ed Affini S.p.A. (FILA).
- The finest pencils for drawing.
- Break resistant.
- High-quality graphite that is smooth and easy to blend.
- The graphite is rigid enough to work for technical drawings.
- Upto 17 different grades available.
Brustro is the registered brand of Creative Hands Art materials Pvt Ltd. Founded in 2009.
- Pre-sharpened graphite pencils
- Different degrees.10B, 8B, 7B, 6B, 5B, 4B, 3B, 2B, B, HB, H, 2H.
- Made of lightweight wood.
- Superior leads of finely ground graphite.
- Break resistant.
- Hexagonal design gives a comfortable grip
How to reduce graphite shine?
As we mentioned above, for every problem there is a solution. There are some tools which can reduce the shine of your graphite artwork and give it a matte look as well as they can preserve your artworks lifelong!
- Universally applicable, non-gelling, aging resistant and colorless fixative based on alcohol.
- Forms an invisible protective layer that protects coal, crayons, pencil, chalk and pastels.
- It is quick-drying, odorless and fixes the colors without loss of quality and makes them smudge-proof.
- Dries quickly, keeps the surface elastic and can be used for many techniques.
- The final paint dries to an even, completely colorless and matte surface.
- Made in France.
- It is transparent, non yellowing and non removable.
- Made for pastels, charcoal, pencil and chalk drawings .
- Apply in several light coats for the best results .
- Made in Spain
- Budget friendly Fixative Spray.
- for a variety of mediums like soft/ dry pastels, charcoal, oil pastels, pencils, crayons, etc.
- It forms a transparent non-removable protective film after drying.
- It is available in 200ml tin bottle.
- Made in India.
4 thoughts on “Best 7 graphite pencils for drawing”
Thanks for good information 🙏🙏